Sunday, September 6, 2009

Day 6: Nájera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada

I'm a girl who loves to know the history of the place I am visiting -- even more so when it's kitsch. And Santo Domingo de la Calzada has a great story to share!

The Cathedral is famous for the live cock and hen kept in a cage in celebration of a local legend involving a young German pilgrim and an innkeeper's daughter, and a miraculous intervention by St. James that saved that the pilgrim's life after he had been strung up on the gallows.


I went to the Pilgrims' mass tonight and had a giggle at the loud "SQUAK!" every few minutes that came from above.

Today was my first day after a two day break, recovering from my nasty infected blisters and fever. I think the break was just what I needed because I woke up feeling GREAT and ready to take on today's nearly 23km walk.

2 comments:

  1. OK. You were needing this pause. And now you have more experience. Perhaps you will need more pauses of one day. You have abandoned Navarra and are in Castilla. The best land will be Galicia, my home land. I am trying to follow you in the Blog but, why the password of my Google Acount is requested? Fr. Jorge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was SO sick when I walked thru Santo Domingo de Calzadas last year at this time! A terrible respitory infection was going around all the pilgrims -- you know what tight sleeping quarters you sometimes have... I remmebr the yummy fruit there from a little shop not too far south of the cathedral Eat lots of fruit as you go! Bon Camino!

    ReplyDelete